If you have an unfinished basement in your home, you may be missing out and wasting valuable space. A finished basement can add value to your home in more ways than one. Not only can a finished basement add additional living space for you to enjoy, but it can also add resale value to your home.
Having your basement finished is a relatively inexpensive way to add to the square footage of living space in your home. If you are finishing your basement to increase your property value, keep in mind that basements are evaluated differently than above-ground space. When considering the following types of rooms to add, remember that certain rooms may appeal to more prospective home buyers than others will.
Be sure you have a construction permit if you plan on having your basement finished. You’ll also need to ensure any foundation cracks are sealed and there is a plan in place for any water or moisture issues. You’ll want your basement to have ample lighting and ceilings that are at least eight feet tall. Advantage Contracting will take care of the project from top to bottom so you won’t have to worry about the details.
Here are just a few options for your basement once you have it finished:
- Extra bedroom or guest suite – Whether you have a parent or an adult child living with you, the basement can make a great place for them to live. Or if you have frequent out-of-town visitors, this would provide a great space for them to relax.
- Theater room – Whether you want to enjoy a movie night or watch the big game, the basement is a great place for a home theater.
- Home gym – Even if you only have a few pieces of equipment, you probably don’t want them in the bedroom or living room so having a dedicated home gym is a great idea.
- Kids Playroom – Keep all of the kids toys in one place and out of the main living area.
- Game Room and Bar – If you like entertaining, bring a pool table, a ping pong table, or even a shuffle board into the space with a fully stocked bar for you and your guests to have a fun night of laughs and memories.
Schedule an appointment for an estimate with Advantage Contracting today by calling (973) 696-0333.