If your New Jersey home has a basement then consider yourself lucky. Although until recent times almost 70% of new homes built in the northeast region were built with one, the rising costs of new home construction have caused that trend to reverse and fewer homes are being built with a basement. That means that existing houses that do have a basement have increased in value.
Basements add a significant amount of storage space. They can be used as a workshop and provide shelter during severe storms. Renovating such a large area may seem like a daunting prospect, but an experienced builder like Advantage Contracting can show you the easiest and most affordable basement ideas to turn your basement into a spacious and comfortable living area.
The Benefits Of A Finished Basement
Is it worth it to finish your basement? Do finished basements add value? Although much of the value of your finished basement will be subjective, depending on how you decide to use it, it has been estimated that on average in the U.S. finishing a basement will give you a 70-75% return on your investment. There are many other benefits to having basement renovations done to your house.
- It’s a way to add living space if zoning laws won’t allow an addition. Depending on where you live, it may be impossible for you to add to your structure if you decide you need more room. But your basement impinges on no laws or neighbors. It works as the perfect solution for those needing space with nowhere to go.
- It increases safety, eliminates foul odors, and reduces invasive pests. An unfinished basement is wide open to several unwanted and even dangerous intruders. Radon gas is a serious concern, which can seep through the walls and floor of an unfinished basement and affect your health, even cause cancer. An unfinished basement is also prone to bad odors, smelling of earth, damp, and mold, and these smells are hard to cover up. And they are more accessible to insects and rodents, and other pests, which will come up into your home. Basement renovations will greatly reduce or eliminate the risk of all of these things.
- Complete flexibility on what kind of living space you create. Your choice of basement ideas is almost unlimited. You can create an extra living room, a romper room for the kids, an extra guest bedroom, a large bathroom, or a personalized man cave complete with a bar and pool table. You can add a private entrance and turn it into a rental or an Airbnb destination, or use it as a mother-in-law residence. Whatever basement renovations you desire, it can be done.
- Having an extra spacious room added to the living area of your home will increase the appeal of your home and add to the value of your property. As mentioned above, basements in new homes are becoming less common and homes that have one will be going for a premium. Remember that even a finished basement can be used for storage so it still serves the original purposes.
- Finished basements add to property value.
- They can be finished in a variety of ways.
- A finished basement is affordable and useful.
If you would like to start enjoying all the benefits of a finished basement, our trusted contractors are ready to make it happen. Advantage Contracting has extensive experience with basement renovations and we can offer you the most affordable way to have it done. Contact us at 973-696-0333 for more information or online for a free, no-obligation estimate.