The COVID-19 pandemic has caused millions of people to start working from home and that’s not going to stop anytime soon. Some companies are even forgoing their office spaces as they notice their employees are happier and more productive at home. With that in mind, it may be a good idea to create a permanent office space in your home as working from home is no longer going to be a short-term thing. But one question that naturally arises is what kind of decor should a home office have to maximize productivity and comfort?
Choosing The Right Color Is Essential
One important element is the color you choose to paint your walls. It’s been known for decades, even before it was formally studied, that colors can have a psychological effect and influence moods, emotions, and even appetite. There’s a reason restaurants use the wall and floor colors they do, and that advertising and product showrooms use certain colors. The colors you choose for your home office can have an effect on you, positive or negative when you’re working, and science has shown the best color for productivity and motivation.
Best Colors For Your Home Office
Several decades ago, psychologist Angela Wright began to study what effect color has on human behavior and developed the Color Affects System. Her research sheds light on color psychology in the workplace and specifically how color affects office productivity. She used as her baseline the four primary palette colors and how they affected emotions, physical reactions, and thought processes.
- Blue/Mind – Blue-hued tones stimulate thinking and concentration, and are among the best to use in offices where repetitive work is being done and you need to remain focused on your work for long periods.
- Red/Body – Red tones tend to communicate urgency and alarm, which is why they are used on signs and on advertising to gain your attention and motivate you into action. Red colors can create excitement and enthusiasm and energize your work. They might be a good choice for direct sales and presentations over the phone or Zoom.
- Yellow/Emotion – Yellows are one of the best creativity color schemes as the research has shown that yellow tones can stimulate emotions in good ways, increasing feelings of happiness and enjoyment. Yellow can be the best color for productivity for those who engage in creative and artistic work.
- Green/Balance – Green tones tend to foster feelings of reassurance and calmness, that everything is alright. It builds trust and authoritativeness. Those who work in the financial industry and other occupations involving trust and credibility can benefit from the green decor. It’s also one of the colors that have been shown to whet the appetite, which is why you often see green used in restaurant decors.
Combinations of these basic colors also combine the psychological effects they can produce. For instance, you might join the energy of red to the productivity and concentration of blue in a purple tone. The same principles can be used in other spaces like your kitchen and living room. When planning your home office remodeling project make sure to consider the benefits of color psychology in the workplace.
- Working from home will be the new normal for many people.
- The right decor will affect your productivity and comfort.
- Choosing the proper colors is essential to your home office design.
It’s important to have a home office space that motivates (or calms!) you. When you’re ready to create your home office space or to complete any other type of home remodeling or construction project, Advantage Contracting is at your service. Contact us today for a free estimate.